My Photo
Name:
Location: Bukit Mertajam, Penang, Malaysia

I like eating, I like procrastinating, I don't like making my bed, Or when birds poop on my head. I like listenning to Tong Hua, But not as much as I like DOTA, Sometimes I might be melancholic and not funny, But most of the time I am not grumpy =)

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Quitting Dota?

Yesterday, I decided to do something that might perhaps save my academic career: I quit playing DotA for the semester. Before that, I was already having trouble finding time to do the readings for my classes and the fact that the game was inside my computer would be a total distraction from my books. Besides that, I had been so engrossed in that game that I outcasted myself from my circle of my college friends in my sophomore year. The only friends that I had, were my DotA buddies.

Thus, the feeling of liberation - freedom from the temptation to procrastinate - as soon as I hit the "uninstall" caption was a relief to me after spending 1 futile hour trying to read the textbook and at the same time, logging on to battlenet every 10 minutes to see if I have enough buddies to play with. I am happy about my decision. I feel "free" from trying to log onto battlenet whenever I don't feel like reading (which is most of the time) and spending the next 3 to 4 hours playing DotA alone. I also regard this as an opportunity to extend my social network and have fellowship with my friends around me once again, something which I definitely didn't have time to do so last year.

However, not everyone was happy about my decision. Most of the warcraft "buddies" (I'm not sure if I would call them friends anymore after last night) showed strong objection against my decision and some refused to have anything to do with me after that. It's kinda sad that I've spent almost my entire sophomore year with them and they can just decide to discard me out of their clique in just a night. If they tried to get to my guilty conscience, then I guess they failed. It sort of made me more glad that I decided to quit DotA, knowing that my friendship with them was very transcient and it would happen anytime in the near future, if not yesterday.

Of course it's not easy to get over with an obsession within a day, or a week. Several times today I was so tempted to reinstall Warcraft because I was so bored (note; I still refused to do my readings). I guess it's the matter of time: if I can resist it long enough, soon I will be able to fill the voidness with readings.

1 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Quitting Dota and blogging?

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home